It’s all well and good having a savvy ecommerce store full of great products, but you won’t be getting any sales if people can’t find you. Search engine optimisation (SEO) is important for improving the visibility of your store in search engines. The higher you rank in the results, the more potential customers will find and visit your store.
There is not a one stop shop when it comes to improving SEO, and it takes constant work, but below you can find some top tips for helping your store regarding rankings.
1. Constant Content – If you consistently add high quality content to your ecommerce store, this can greatly help your search engine rankings, plus it comes with the added benefit of giving additional value for your customers. Try to provide content that is related to your business and the products or services that you sell. If you are using Shopify, then connecting it to one of the blogging platforms it works with is a must.
2. Unique Descriptions – Sure, writing a unique description for each of your products can be a time consuming process, but it is one that should not be rushed. To try and save some time, many shop owners will simple copy the manufacturer’s description of an item, but when it comes to SEO, this is a big mistake. You should take the time to write a unique and SEO friendly description that uses the keywords that people are likely to use when they search for your products.
3. Coupons – if you want to offer coupons to your customers, as well as promote them on your website, you should also promote them on the many coupon websites there are out there. This will not only create free links to your store, but can also greatly help with sales and SEO.
4. Optimise Images – When conducting searches on a search engine, many people are now choosing to use an image based search rather than web. It is vital, therefore, for ecommerce store to add keywords to the ALT tags of every image on the website, especially product images. Again, this can be a time consuming process, but it will pay off in the long run.
5. Avoid Duplicate Content – This is a big no-no when it comes to search engine rankings. Because of the huge amount of content that is bound to be on an ecommerce store, this can be pretty trick to monitor, which is why it can often be penalised by search engines. Using the rel=”canonical” tag is often useful here, and many Shopify themes will automatically insert it onto all pages of a store.
6. Meta Descriptions – Some companies think that just having one meta-description for all site pages is enough. It is much better, however, if you write a meta-description for every page. They should be written as if they were intended for actual humans to read, with the aim of getting your store more clicks.
7. Product Reviews – As mentioned previously, generating content is a good way to improve your SEO. Having a space where users can add reviews of products or service is a good way to generate unique content for your store without you having to do any work. Shopify provides many product review apps you could use.