Marketing is a two-step method of communication. A business needs it to communicate its products and services and it also needs to leverage it strategically in order to connect with its audience(s), and without being intrusive or downright sleazy.
What Is Inbound Marketing and Is It any Better than Outbound Marketing?
Targeted marketing allows an inbound marketer to introduce compelling messages through inbound marketing that focuses on delivering exceptional value to customers.
While outbound marketing uses a one-way approach that more and more consumers view as disingenuous because of it’s “me, me, me” attitude.
Traditional (Outbound) Marketing vs. Intuitive (Inbound) Marketing
Inviting consumers to buy before an introduction and a “see what happens” is rapidly becoming outdated as more and more start ups and mid-level companies are willing to explore the impact of their traditional marketing (print, direct mail, and signage) from their outbound marketing while leveraging their intuitive marketing (speaking and listening to customers) in their inbound marketing campaigns to increase their bottom line.
Inbound vs Outbound Marketing
Learning the differences between outbound marketing and inbound marketing can make the difference between a business that hordes attention like an opera singer and a business that values its consumers by putting the “customer first”.
“Push” or “Fulfill”
If old marketing is traditionally pushy (billboards, cold calls, radio advertising), then new marketing can provide intrinsic value to your customers by creating an interactive means of communication and the reasons are twofold:
First: People can get services and products they need from a variety of places, and
Second: Consumers are learning to control how the offers and promotions get to them.
Traditional (old marketing) tactics play a part in the ways people limit their exposure to non-targeted advertising—The Numbers:
- The average person over 18 receives 41 pounds of junk mail every year (Source: 41pounds.org),
- Spam in email traffic in 2016 reached 58.31 percent—3.03 points higher than in 2015 (Source: Kaspersky),
- In contrast, marketers should provide users with the “best marketing experience” (Source: HubSpot),
- While the US remained number 1 in targeted phishing or Spam (Source: Kaspersky), and
- The Internet’s viability to communicate data has existed less than 30 years (Source: PewInternet).
Why Traditional Marketing Continues to Be Successful
Older pillars of marketing like direct mail continue to engender favorable interaction from consumers in relationship to the ‘emotional value’ it communicates. Millward Brown research posits that “Neuroscience” plays a significant role in the consumer engage through the touch and feeling sensations that are elicited from a tangible and tactile experience.
What Is Outbound Marketing Able to Leverage?
An outbound marketing campaign is useful in helping marketers discover where their core audience visits by observing how closely its promotions sync with the searching and buying patterns of its ideal customers.
- A buyer persona and a targeted customer personality (likes and habits) can help you pinpoint the people that are most likely to engage with your company or brand.
- Create an ideal audience to allow your business to specifically identify the types of people that will respond to your offers before you being targeting your marketing messages.
- Then design your inbound marketing to attract their interest through your web content and social media channels that they can interact with as they get acquainted with you.
What Makes Effective Inbound Marketing?
Getting your message to your visitors is at the heart of what makes an effective inbound marketing campaign.
Create Content Marketing that addresses your web visitors’ specific needs:
- Inbound Marketing Book Strategies,
- Long-form Articles,
- Slide Shows,
- Videos (Vimeo, YouTube), and
- White Papers
allow you to promote a business or your company without appearing catchpenny, but instead as the authority.
The Keys to an Effective Inbound Marketing Strategy:
Make use of Keywords that allow you to signal to searchers that your content answers their problems with valuable solution-savvy information.
- Avoid black hat tactics (buying link traffic, keyword stuffing or switch and bait linking that ‘redirect’ visitors to your site).
- These practices are “inorganic” and can drastically impact your web pages’ content by search engines like Google that rank pages and not websites.
Use Social Media to promote content across a variety of channels. Direct content through the channels that your ideal customer and target audience frequent most:
- Facebook advertising is customizable by subject and niche,
- LinkedIn business-branded “how-tos” to influence B2B conversations,
- Twitter to promote interest-based topics,
- Reddit amps ‘passion points’ and ‘fan stories’ to comment on and share.
- Leverage insights about your company visitors can discover and that build engagement through trust.
Inbound Marketing Tools
Structure a content delivery system for your inbound marketing strategy with services like Buffer to maximize promotion for start-up, mid-sized, and corporate level marketing budgets.
No inbound marketing system strategy is created equally and every inbound marketer(s) seek to improve their campaigns’ and conversions’ performance:
22% of salespeople are in the dark about what a CRM is.
40 % of salespersons continue to store customer data on Excel or Outlook.
65% of marketers’ biggest challenge is generating traffic and leads. (Source: HubSpot)
An all-in-one inbound marketing system is a trial and experiment process at best, and the costs compared to a do-it-yourself approach is tempered only by the metrics each inbound marketer chooses to leverage.
Customer Resource Management (CRM) and Content Management Systems (CMS)
The inbound marketing system tools you use in your inbound marketing strategy can help you measure your engagement by revealing the effectiveness of your campaigns: and ultimately in the ROI, they bring.
A good CRM with CMS can help your inbound marketing but decide on the one or on its complement that best suits your allocated budget—and finite time for each of your campaigns. Automation is a key factor in finding the one-two combination that may help you streamline your marketing.
The New Frontier
A new era in marketing doesn’t leave the sound principles of traditional marketing behind: it leverages it. Apply the intuitive inbound marketing strategies in Inbound Marketing as a resource to invite visitors to explore your content, introduce them to your offers, and nurture them through a delightful and individual experience that turns them into loyal and repeat customers.